Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Writing Without Experience

When I wrote Among the People Lost, I did something interesting in that I used locations I was familiar with. I've been to Baltimore, and I live right near Scranton. I already knew what those places were like. It's set in the not-too-distant future, so I didn't have to worry about researching tons of things to get a feel for the time period.

Scranton, I love you and hate you.

The story I'm going to be writing for NaNoWriMo is entirely different. I'm starting it off in the small town of Lanesboro, Iowa in the summer of 1974. Lanesboro is so small that all the info Wikipedia has on it can fit on the screen of my laptop at once. I don't even know if it existed in 1974! I've certainly never been there. We're talking middle of freaking nowhere, and that is exactly how I want it.

Furthermore, being born in 1991 makes it a little tough to know what life was like in the 70s. I feel like I'm totally out of my element on this one, and I hope I can get all the information I need before I start writing. I already put a lot of effort in to finding names that were popular in the years my characters were born.

Mostly, I'm just winging it and hoping it flows really well. It won't hit 50,000 words if it doesn't, so here goes nothing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment