Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thoughts on Gamers

We all know someone who can play a video game for 24 hours straight and not get bored. Maybe you are one of those people. I've done similar things at LAN parties. But that isn't what bothers me. I'm irritated by the gamers who will forfeit sleep, food, work, and relationships just to get in another hour of gaming. Games can be paused, saved, and put aside for later. Life can't. You can't just minimize your social life and reopen it when it suits you. My boyfriend is one of those people. If I make food for both of us, I eat alone while he sits at the pc. When he does decide to eat, I'm already done, the food is cold, and he sometimes continues to get up every few minutes to monitor his game. I think what irks me the most is that he sees no problem with this. He cannot comprehend why I consider every day tasks more important than a game. Another thing that bothers me is when a gamer will not deny that they suck at a game. Sure, sometimes we all get screwed over by a crappy feature or a glitch. But when you blame every one of your downfalls on the game itself, that's not the game's fault. As we speak, my boyfriend is in another room playing Age of Mythology. I've heard nothing but complaints about the current mission - everything from "I don't know how they expect me to do this" to "They are absolute idiots," referring to the group of soldiers he commands. Video game characters only do as you tell them. I did the mission with no problems on the same level of difficulty.

I think it's about time to wrap this up before I get angry and kick my boyfriend out of the house. I guess it's better that I rant on here and not take it out on him personally. I'll return with more once I've reminded him that I made him breakfast. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment