Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thoughts on Borders Closing

I like reading. It's something I would do more if I had more time, and I have piles of books lying around my room that haven't been opened yet, but there's still something really nice about walking into a book store and looking at all the potential stories I could wander into. I think it's really sad that Borders, the only book store remotely close to my house, isn't going to be there anymore to provide me with those stories.

There was a local book store called Tutor Books that was really close to my house. It closed a few years ago. They were expensive, and they didn't have a great selection, but it was still sort of sad to see them go out. Our mall was occupied by Walden Books probably ten years ago, but it did really poorly. Borders is really the only book store that did well in our area. I've grown sort of attached to it.

It's not like I didn't see it coming, though. As soon as e-readers and tablets and smart phones became easily accessible, I figured it was only a matter of time before books started becoming obsolete. I think the closing of Borders really hammered it in, though. Without one nearby, I either have to pay extra to buy books online or get them on my phone's Kindle app. I love having books sitting neatly on a shelf, so I guess that's more money I have to pay.

On the other hand, the digital book movement has made a lot of things easier. It's certainly more convenient. It also opens up avenues for new and first time authors to really get noticed. Even I took advantage of the super easy publishing on Kindle.

Easier isn't always better, and I'll certainly miss Borders. Will I eventually move to digital reading? Most likely. Either way, I'm taking advantage of the wonderful sales and stocking up on reading material while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment